Shop at Spinner's End Farm

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A work in progress

I am a relative newcomer to knitting, and I have found it to be obsessive.

I started a new project yesterday and wanted to try a neater, more tidy method of casting on because I've been using the backward loop method, and while quick and easy it doesn't make a neat edge. So, I pulled out my learning to knit book of choice "Learn to Knit Visually" (because that is what it takes for me to get it) and found a few new methods for a stretchy tidy edge. Now, I should mention that we were watching one of my favorite childhood Christmas specials "The Year Without a Santa Claus", and I didn't really want to miss any of the extremely complicated plot, so I picked the next easiest cast on called the knitted cast on. Once I got the rhythm down it went quick. It does look very neat and it is a stretchy edge.

Of course, the real reason I'm telling you all of this is to show off my yarn bowl! I bought it at the Northern Michigan Lamb and Wool Festival from a potter who is also a shepherd. She has a farm called "The Lavender Fleece". It has a picture of a Lincoln Longwool on the front and on the inside of the bowl.
The yarn is my handspun bulky from Gaia and Beltane. It is going to make a soft warm gift!

 

 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Someday I'd love to have a wooden yarn bowl, but my, they are spendy little luxuries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With my adhd brain, I would probably start with the intentions of knitting a sweater only to end up with a neck warmer.
    Love the bowl and the project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It IS obsessive, isn't it? :)

    I love to do it but I am very bad at it. lol
    If I set it down I need the book again to pick it back up.
    I seem to have a knitting block.

    Now, crochet, I can do. But yeah, I love the feel of yarn!

    Can't wait to see pics of the rest of your greenery!

    Happy Yule, luv!
    *hugs*
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete