Shop at Spinner's End Farm

Monday, April 12, 2010

Small wheel for smallish people

In March Lila accompanied me to the Eweper's Spinners and Weavers meeting.  My friend Roberta brought her Ashford Joy Travelling wheel for us to try out.  It worked great for Lila...it was the right height and she could keep the wheel going while drafting and she created some singles that look better than some first time adults turn at the wheel.  I was very proud of her.  This spurred my interest in the Joy and an internet search.  I found this wheel at the Spinners and Weavers and Knitters housecleaning pages http://www.kbbspin.org/
Very cool site.
The wheel that Lila tried was a double treadle, but I couldn't fine on that was "reasonably" priced so after doing some research opted for the single wheel because one of the reviews I read said that the double treadle was overkill on the joy since the wheel diameter was so small in the first place.  We haven't had an opportunity yet to show it to Lila, but Sam took a turn on it while she was at quilting class- he was pretty good too!  It will also come in handy for me to take to work and other places to work on projects...

No comments:

Post a Comment