Shop at Spinner's End Farm

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

"Rosy Stripes"


After reading the Gary Paulsen book "Harris and Me", I wasn't sure at all that I wanted to have a rooster. Lila, however, is quite taken with the idea of having our hens hatch their own eggs so we thought we'd give him a try. I am glad we have him for benefits other than the obvious! Having a rooster crowing on occasion in the yard evokes a rather comforting and exciting feeling for me...an audible affirmation that we are doing "the right thing". I love to spend time just sitting and watching Rosy "managing" his girls; pushing one group of hens away from a food source to let the others get their share, calling them back if they stray to far, etc... He does get rather upset if you (ie. the kids) run through the flock of hens and disturb them so we have had to do some behaviour modification every once in awhile, but he in general is rather a gentleman.

No comments:

Post a Comment